cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Attaching hosts at 40G over 2-strand OM4 cable plant

stuartkendrick
Level 1
Level 1

I currently service high-end workstations over an OM4 cable plant -- 2-strand / LC connectors plugged into Intel X520-SR1 NICs on the host side and Nexus 93180YC-EX on the switch side (in the IDFs)

I want to migrate these to 40G ... and I'm beginning to think that no one offers a solution for this

* If I had an MPIO OM4 cable plant (i.e. 8 or 12 strands per station), then I could use Intel XL710-QDA1 NICs (host-side) and QSFP-40G-SR transceivers (switch-side)

* If I had a single-mode cable plant, several options

* If the distances were way shorter, then twinax (Direct Attach or Active Optical Cabling) would be available

* The N9K support Cisco's QSFP-40G-BDSR ... but I don't see that any NIC manufacturer supports this

Anyone have tips on doing 40G over multi-mode?

--sk

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Anyone have tips on doing 40G over multi-mode?

40Gig can work over multi-mode or single mode depending on the optic you use (see link) for the switch side optic.

https://www.fs.com/products/36157.html

So long as  XL710-QDA1 NICs supports MPO, this optic can connect the switch to the host if you have the proper cabling with MPO connectors in place.

The N9K support Cisco's QSFP-40G-BDSR ... but I don't see that any NIC manufacturer supports this

QSFP-40G-BDSR is a Cisco propitiatory optic and can only work on Cisco Nexus switches and not between Cisco and another vendor.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card