cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic internetwork communication

RugbyWreck
Level 1
Level 1

Firstly I'll apologise because I've no doubt this sort or thing has been asked before but having read through dozens of answers they seem to be of a much higher level than I require currently.

I am completely new to the Cisco world and have literally just started on the CCNA material so my knowledge is very limited to say the least and I'm obviously missing something in getting this basic setup working.

I have a Cisco 1841 router running IOS version 15.1 and I have set up the fast Ethernet interfaces as follows:

Fa0/0 has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.192

Fa0/1 has an IP address of 192.168.1.65 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.192

I also have two PC's set up as follows:

PC 1 has an IP address of 192.168.1.20 with a mask of 255.255.255.192 and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1

PC 2 has an IP address of 192.168.1.100 with a mask of 255.255255.192 and a default gateway of 192.168.1.65

My issue is that the router itself can ping all of the listed IP's without a problem, however, whilst the PC's can both ping both interfaces on the router they cannot ping each other, I just keep getting a "Request timed out" message.

I have made sure that the command "ip routing" has been issued at a global configuration level on the router so based on a very basic network I thought this would work?

Is there something ore fundamental to this set-up that I've missed? None of the literature that I've read up to now suggests anything else that needs doing for this basic set-up to work.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the very quick response but I'm feeling a bit red faced now! I've been struggling with this for over a day and by chance, just after posting the question, a network engineer I know was in the office and told me it was a windows firewall issue rather than a setup problem with my network. Sure enough I enabled the ICMP rules to allow remote networks and it works just fine. I'd allowed the ICMP for local subnets hence it worked from the router but forgot to allow remote networks at the same time.

Doh!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What you described sounds okay.

Can you attach your 1841 config?

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the very quick response but I'm feeling a bit red faced now! I've been struggling with this for over a day and by chance, just after posting the question, a network engineer I know was in the office and told me it was a windows firewall issue rather than a setup problem with my network. Sure enough I enabled the ICMP rules to allow remote networks and it works just fine. I'd allowed the ICMP for local subnets hence it worked from the router but forgot to allow remote networks at the same time.

Doh!

Laugh - that's fine - glad to read you solved it - also glad to read the router config was fine, as it was, too.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card