Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

baud rate

hey i need someone to explain this question please 

Two devices are communicating via a Physical Layer transmission system. The system uses a
data coding scheme that defines a symbol as “a voltage that can have one of thirty-two possible
values”. If the system operates at a transmission rate of 3500 symbols per second, determine
the data rate measured in:

baud rate 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @00u1julhccBecaBcS5d7 ,

each symbol can represent 32 different values this means 2^5  5 bits / symbol

so in bps it is 5*3500  bps

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @00u1julhccBecaBcS5d7 ,

each symbol can represent 32 different values this means 2^5  5 bits / symbol

so in bps it is 5*3500  bps

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks alot that is a pretty good explanation would you mind explaining more cause I was watching video tutorials and from what I got it was 5/3500 for baud rate and the opposite for bites per second 

Can you please clarify this much appreciated 

Baud vs. bps might be better understood it you consider something like what used to be used for Centronics (parallel) printer cables, decades ago, compared to a serial RS232 connection.

To send a single 8 bit character, across a RS232 line, 8 bits would need to be sent, in sequence.  Further, for framing purposes, each character would need a start and at least one stop bit.  (NB: you might also use 2 or 1 1/2 stop bits [stop bits are a signal state in bit times, not actual bits, which is how/why you can have 1 1/2].)  I.e. at least 10 bits on the wire per character, so on a RS232 link running at 300 Baud (where each Baud only had 1 bit), your transmission rate was 300 bps or 30 cps (characters per second).

Centronics used 8 parallel cables to carry an 8 bit character during one signal transmission.  So, if your transmission rate was again 300 Baud, now your sending a whole 8 bit character per Baud, so your transmission rate is now 2400 bps (8 times 300) or 240 cps.

Later serial links encode more than one bit per Baud, much like what the Centronics printer cables did.  So, as Giuseppe noted, 32 values would be encoded with 5 bits, so your bit rate, is Baud times number of bits per Baud.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If "If the system operates at a transmission rate of 3500 symbols per second" and the question truly is

"determine
the data rate measured in:

baud rate"

The answer is 3500 Baud.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card