Views
Helpful
Replies

best STP configuration in 6509

mohammad saeed
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Guys,

I have two core sw 6509 and edge sw 2960x. I want to know the best practice for STP configuration in core and edge sw?

Thanks for all

Mohammad

9 Replies 9

bogdan_butucel
Level 1
Level 1

You would want to use Rapid Per VLAN STP and the core switch as your root bridge:

In 6509:

% Enable Per VLAN STP %
spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

% Make sure a different Bridge ID is used for each VLAN %
spanning-tree extend system-id

% Force the core switch to be the root bridge %
spanning-tree vlan 1-4094 priority 4096

Thanks Bogdan!

what about in 2960x switches?

Thanks

You could just leave them as default let them sort themselves as they will set as default with 32768 , or if you want to make sure it uses 1 path over the other if linked to both 6ks , set the cost on one link each end to a 1000 so it choses that

To add to that I would globally enable this per switch

spanning-tree portfast edge bpduguard default

enable 1 core as 4096 and 2nd core as 8192 if not in VSS mode so there is stp redundancy

also review these best practice docs for that platform before doing anything

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/best/practices/recommendations.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/24330-185.html

Hi Mark,

There is VSS between them for sure!

Then just configure the VSS as 4096 , heres my VSS as an example , you can just set all vlans to 4096 for the VSS to be the core , no cost required  on edge switches then , just use a PO and link them to both 6ks physically and leave them as default but make sure there at least running  rapid-pvst

!
spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst
spanning-tree portfast edge bpduguard default
spanning-tree extend system-id
spanning-tree vlan 1-331,2991-2994 priority 4096
spanning-tree vlan 332-400 priority 20480
spanning-tree vlan 1222 priority 16384
port-channel load-balance src-dst-port

Thanks Mark what about this spanning-tree vlan 332-400 priority 20480 why you made it different?

I have a parallel mgmt. oob network running in tandem which forces mgmt. protocols through mgmt. devices like tipping points and fortinets etc , we have a very complicated setup locally as there is DC and Prod design with oob network , standard designs don't need that , your VSS should be the core for vlans in a standard VSS design , you will see the majority of my vlans follow this practice

The actual 332-400 don't originate either on the Prod they exist somewhere else at l2 so only in last case scenario should the VSS become root for those vlans if all else fails

OK got it thanks! 

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card