cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

best way to force external routing between vlans?

frogggers
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to force traffic flowing between two vlans on my 3560x switch out then back in from an external layer2 bridge, for purposes of network simulation.

What's the best/most efficient way to accomplish this (I'm running ip services image). So traffic from vlan160 destined for vlan159 would first flow out gi0/35, then come back in gi0/36.

Thanks

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/35

description bridge side A

switchport access vlan 160

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/36

description bridge side B

!

interface vlan159

ip address 10.10.159.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface vlan160

ip address 10.10.160.1 255.255.255.0

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Traffic destined to Vlan 159 will flow out ports in this vlan so surely not on Gi0/35 which is in Vlan 160.

Can you clarify what you want to achieve and also can you manage the L2 bridge?

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

You should also put:

interface GigabitEthernet0/36

into VLAN 159 or make this VLan native Vlan.

You need to clarify what is your goal here. Do not give us solution but explain the problem. To test your scenarion the best would be to connect to routers to it on per Vlan and then test it. What is the purpose of your bridge? Are you aware that bridge may not tag frame with any Vlan right? Probably you do not want that.

Sorry I wasn't trying to give solution, only a framework for somebody to help describe it.

The external device would not have to have vlan tags, and though its purpose is somewhat irrelevant, it could be doing network simulation or changing the packet contents, and only operates at layer 2. And unfortunately I have only one cisco switch available. I do have another gig-e capable switch if that's truly necessary to include in the setup, I just assumed that with ip services there'd be some way to do it via configuration so that I might be able to cause the traffic to flow thru the bridge or not as I test.

Does this descive it better? Thanks for any tips.

Hi,

Reply from 192.168.1.10: Destination host unreachable

No. I think you should include a topology diagram and get clearer with the objectives you are trying to achieve.

Post also the relevant configs.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card