cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

bgp peer groups

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

hi, i have a little confusion regarding peer groups so plz help me out. Suppose i have a router RA running bgp and it has 5 ebgp neighbours that are all grouped in a peer group, now i want to run the next-hop-self command on only one neighbour but when i do it like this

neighbour (neighbour ip ) next-hop-self

% Invalid command for a peer-group member

so what can i do to solve this problem, remember i want this neighbour to be the part of peer group but i also want to run some independent commands on it so is there any way to do it ?

thanks

3 Replies 3

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You can't define a specific outbound routing policy to a single peer-group member, outbound routing policies can only be applied to the whole peer-group, and thus you'll have to decide either to remove the peer from the group or do the command to the whole group.

One comment here, you don't need the next-hop-self for your ebgp neighbors it is done by default.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

oh yes Mahmoud bhai my mistake, actually in my scenario i had ebgp peering with 3 routers and 1 confederation ebgp with another router RB, so for RB the next-hop-self command wasnt there by default.

Second i read in jeff doyle routing tcp/ip volume 2 that even after we define peer groups we can still assign indiviual policies to its member so u think that comment is mistaken or did i misunderstood it ??

waiting for reply

thanks

Hi Ovais,

You can change the incoming policies as you like but not the outgoing policies.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: