Views
Helpful
Replies

C3850 no ping between Vlans

Lashkham
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have Cisco switch c3850 connected to VTP server (Core Switch C6509) ,when i sh Vlans bref working fine , but i can't ping between Vlans also i have c3750 connected to VTP server everything is working fine.

6 Replies 6

Hello,

is the inter-Vlan routing done on the 6509 ?

Post the configuration of the non-working 3850 switch...

inter-Vlan routing done on 6509 , Yes

from 3750 sh vlan bref all is ok and ping between vlans is ok.

when i add new switch c3850  no bing between vlans but when i sh vlan berf all vlans on 6509 is ok and VTP status is ok.

Hello,

post the config of the 3850. Do you have 'ip routing' enabled or disabled on the 3850 ?

my issue solved by using ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 X.X.X.X(Core Switch)

why? in c3750 not used this command...Please info?

Thanks 

Hello,

with 'ip routing' enabled, you need a default route. The switch effectively turns into a router. Did you actually have that enabled ? Otherwise, you would just need 'ip default-gateway'...

We do not have enough information to be sure about this situation. But I agree with @Georg Pauwen that it sounds like the 3750 does not have ip routing enabled and the 3850 does have ip routing enabled.

If ip routing is not enabled (like it sounds to be the case on 3750) then at layer 3 the switch operates as a host and so it requires configuration of ip default-network to be able to access remote resources. But with ip routing enabled (like it sounds to be the case on 3850) then at layer 3 the switch operates as a router and so it requires configuration of ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card