cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300 Backup Restore

DC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone, so I've been trying to backup restore on a C9300 switch but I seem to be running into issues. I've tried the manual copy and paste as well as the copy tftp run (after successfully copying a run) however neither method copies everything successfully. 

One of the issues I seem to run into appears to be because of the PKI cert during copying and pasting, and the second issue when copying from a tftp server (my laptop) it appears to parse out the command rather than successfully copy everything. My question is, what would be the appropriate method to perform a restore in this scenario? (Also a little bit about our topology, we're on DNA Center version 1.6.718 however I have yet to attempt a restore on a device synced to DNA Center yet I figure I'd try to successfully restore a standalone switch at first). 

Thank You!

5 Replies 5

what is issue, is it the two config is merge ?

I believe so. I performed a write erase on the device to restore the configuration from scratch but it appears that when I copy tftp run it parses the running-config therefore taking errors. 

Would you try this process and let us know the results:

- erase startup

- show startup to verify that it is empty

- copy tftp startup

- show startup to verify that the proper config is now there

One comment about using copy and paste for the config. It can be a problem (especially if you are connected to console) that if you select the whole config file and paste the whole config that you might send data more quickly than it can be processed and the result is that some parts of the config are present but other parts are missing. One way to address this is to select only small parts of the config, paste them, select another small part of the config, paste it, repeat, and repeat. If you are connected using console port it can be quite helpful to in your terminal emulator increase the line feed delay to a larger value (and perhaps to increase character delay) so that text is not transmitted as quickly.

HTH

Rick

add to what @Richard Burts  suggest 
try copy from tftp to startup then use
config replace and check 
NOTE:- make your config unique with for example change the host name to different name to detect change immediate.
Use 'configure replace' Instead of 'copy start run' - PacketLife.net

NOTE:- copy your config before do any thing 
NOTE:- remember the password and use of AAA to access SW 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Backup up the config of a switch running IOS-XE is one thing.  Re-apply the config back to the switch, however, is guaranteed to fail.  This is because there is a "feature" with the config whereby the VLAN database details are located in the middle of the config and IOS-XE switches do not like it if they are down that far.  

If, for example, the VLAN DB is moved to right below the hostname, everything will work beautifully.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card