cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can different Ether-Channel modes co-exist at the same time?

D​ear fellow engineers,

I have four switches in a network topology with PAgP Ether-channel trunks between them.  My question is can I mix Ether-channel modes in the same network?  Can I have two switches with static Ether-channel and have two switches with either PAgP or LACP, and have traffic traverse between the switches?

I have searched my Cisco books and have not found anything stating that they can or cannot co-exist. Only that if you configure one end with a particular mode, the opposite end has to match the same mode.

From my extensive google searches, I have found one reference stating that modes are not compatible (Refer to link and quote below), meaning that if you use static, all should be static, if you use PAgP, all should be PAgP, etc. Is this correct?

“Note that Ether-channel technology is general allows for multi-link aggregation, redundancy and load balancing. LACP and PAgP are dynamic ether-channel protocols that allows for dynamic creation of an EtherChannel. LACP, PAgP and Static EtherChannel’s are not compatible with one another.”

Any response to confirm yes or no would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Ernest

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BradEast1
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, you can use pagp, lacp and static on the same device. Just need to make sure both ends of each bundle use the same protocol.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

BradEast1
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, you can use pagp, lacp and static on the same device. Just need to make sure both ends of each bundle use the same protocol.

Thank you BradEast. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card