cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use GLC-ZX-SM instead of GLC-ZX-SMD with Nexus C9300 series?

tranviettu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

As the title said, is there anyone has experience using SPF with "-SM" instead of "-SMD" on the Nexus 9300 series? 

I know that in the compatibility matrix states those switches only support the "-SMD" or "MMD"SFPs. But after I did some researches and find that specs between the two is the same and on some catalyst switches, they are interchangeable.

My customer have WAN links utilizing the GLC-ZX-SM modules, and they will migrate the connections to a new Nexus 93180YC-FX (and they do not order new GLC-ZX-SMD modules).

Best regards,

Tu Tran

2 Replies 2

Hello,

I think they are both compatible. The only difference is the 'D', which stand for Digital Optical Monitoring (DOM).

Cisco SFP GLC-XX-SM and Cisco SFP GLC-XX-SMD are very similar and compatible with each other. The only difference is that the latter one has DOM function. SFP with DOM is better for transceiver and system protection.

“D” transceivers have additional support for Digital Optical Monitoring (DOM) capability. Cisco SFP GLC-XX-SMD can support DOM function while Cisco SFP GLC-XX-SM can’t. DOM provides a diagnostic monitoring interface for optical transceiver modules. DOM supports monitoring of optic output power, optic input power, temperature, laser bias current, and transceiver voltage. When DOM is enabled, the system monitors the temperature and signal power levels for the optical transceiver modules in the specified ports. Console messages and syslog messages are sent when optical operating conditions fall below or rise above the SFP manufacturer-recommended thresholds. 

Tks  Georg!

I've checked with real equipments, and N9K does note support "-SM" and "-MM" modules.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card