cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can you configure duplex and speed on a GLC-T

minxbaker
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509 with only a fibre module in it and need to configure a port with and RJ45 connector. So I've put a GLC-T module in and for some reason it will not work with the server. I have configured another port for the secondary NIC on another 6509 that does have an RJ45 blade in it and that works fine. The only difference in the configs between the 2 devices is that on the one where I have had to use the SFP GLC-T I haven't set the speed and duplex to 1000 and full manually. Can this be done on these devices and is there any reason why the server would work when plugged into a blade with RJ45 ports but not one that has SFP slots with an RJ45 SFP in it?

3 Replies 3

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Marina,

It appears that there may be a mismatch in the speed/duplex values of the switch interface having the SFP and the server NIC. If you are unsure of the settings on the NIC , you may want to set the interface at auto & enable auto mdix .

You can use the mdix auto interface configuration command in the CLI to enable the automatic medium-dependent interface crossover (auto-MDIX) feature. When the auto-MDIX feature is enabled, the switch detects the required cable type for copper Ethernet connections and configures the interfaces accordingly. Therefore, you can use either a crossover or a straight-through cable for connections to a copper 10/100, 10/100/1000, or 1000BASE-T SFP module port on the switch, regardless of the type of device on the other end of the connection.

The auto-MDIX feature is enabled by default on switches running Cisco IOS Release 12.2(18)SE or later. For releases between Cisco IOS Release 12.1(14)EA1 and 12.2(18)SE, the auto-MDIX feature is disabled by default. For configuration information for this feature, see the switch software configuration guide or the switch command reference

Sample configuration:

Switch# configure terminal
Switch(config)# interface gigabitethernet1/0/1
Switch(config-if)# speed auto
Switch(config-if)# duplex auto
Switch(config-if)# mdix auto
Switch(config-if)# end

Hope this helps,
Shashank

P.S. Please rate the helpful post.

Hello,

I have a GLC-T cisco SFP+ module to connect through RJ45 cable my FPGA board and network.

The FPGA transceivers support 1GBASE-T and 10GBASE-T Ethernet standards.

Now I want to know how to configure the SFP+ to switch the data speed depending on the incoming data rate from the network (1G or 10G)

Thank you in advance :)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have a 6509 with only a fibre module in it and need to configure a port with and RJ45 connector. So I've put a GLC-T module in and for some reason it will not work with the server.

GLC-T plus a 6500 will negotiate to 1000 Mbps, Full Duplex.  Period.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card