cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot login to Enable mode of Switch

vipinrajrc
Level 3
Level 3

I can 't log in to the enable mode of switch as there is no enable password set .I get an error as " No enable password set " when I try logging in . The switch is at a remote location and I have no physical access to it . Is there any way I can log in to the enable mode ?

Thanks and Regards, Vipin
3 Replies 3

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

No you'll have to connect locally on the router or ask someone to do it and modify config by adding a privileged password with the enable secret command or if you are using a username/password to login  configure as this:

user X privilege 15 secret XXXX

You can also put a the vty line the command privilege level 15 but then anyone who can login will be immediately in enable mode.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

I'm arfaid you'll need a PC on the remote site connected to the switch console via a console cable.

Then you access the PC via RDP and connect to the swicth console using any terminal program (PuTTY, HyperTerminal, etc.).

You shoud be able to get to the Enable mode via the console even while the enable password is not set.

If not, you need somebody on the site to power the switch off/on and to run a password recovery procedure on the switch using that PC for a console connection. Of course, your connection to the PC would have not go through that switch rebooted!

HTH,

Milan

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Not 100% positive, but believe if you have SNMP write access, you can change the config remotely (allowing you to insert an enable password/secret).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card