Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat6-Sup Engine II - Replace Secondary Sup Procedure

tckoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Secondary SUP is facing some Hw problem, had RMA the unit and would like to replace it.

But I have few question here:

1) Current SUPs and running IOS 12.2.(18)SXD6.

2) The RMA unit may running IOS other than 12.2(18)SXD6.

When I replace the secondary SUP, with new unit the software version definately will different.

Will it impact the redundacy ? Can I copy from primary to secondary unit the software ?

My concern if primary refuse to recognised the secondary Sup during bootup due to different software version, and put in on ROMMON, then I have problem to copy the software from primary SUP to secodary sup to make it identical software image at both Sup.

I remember there is document in cco about replacing the secondary sup, but now i cant find it.

Regards

2 Replies 2

vvasisth
Level 1
Level 1

if the standby sup falls in rommon mode just console into that sup and boot it with the IOS available in the bootflash. Refer to the link given belw to recover a sup from rommon :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa1.shtml#s720recover

Once the standby sup is up but redundancy wont work copy the IOS from the active sup's bootflash to the standby one using this command "copy bootflash: slavesup-bootflash:"

Once the image is copied to the standby sup reboot it and make it boot from the new IOS you can check the link i pasted above for the same.

regards,

Varun

Hi Varun,

You mean I am able to copy to standby SUP even the standby Sup redundancy is not works ?

In this case it have different IOS version with primary Sup.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card