cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 4500 - licensing

micwill3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am running an older non-e 4506 switch pair and is going to replace them with some newer 4510R chassis (P/N WS-C4510R+E=)   Today the chassis are populated with WS-X4516-10GE supervisors, and WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V line cards.  The release notes on the 4510r say that they should be compatible.  My question, is do they need to take any licensing requirements into consideration for moving all the old line cards (including sup)  into the new chassis, or should it “just work?” 

Additionally, I saw software requirements listed at a minimum of:

Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(54)SG

Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.0(1)SG

Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.3.0XO

However, the above software revisions refer to the following supervisors:

Supervisor Engine 6-E

Supervisor Engine 7-E

Supervisor Engine 8-E

(The V-10GE is not listed above)

The release notes do say the V-10GE is supported, but in supervisor engine redundancy.

Will the V-10GE work in this chassis?  Also, what minimum software version is required for it to work?   They are presently running version 12.2(50)SG​1. If they need to upgrade the software, should they upgrade the IOS on the sup PRIOR to moving it to the new chassis? 

1 Reply 1

Ben Samayoa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi micwill3,

All your questions are answered in the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-4500-series-supervisor-engine-v-10ge/product_data_sheet0900aecd801c5c66.html

You dont need to upgrade any software prior installation on the new chassis.

On regards to your linecards scroll down the link to find all compatible linecards supported.

regards,

Ben

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card