Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9200L - Standby stack member corrupted boot file

sreingardt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have noticed a strange error with our Catalyst 9200L-24P-4G switch stacks and would like to know if anyone has had the same problems.

• The stacks consist of 2 switches
  • The firmware is 17.06.03
  • The stacks are in install mode

Out of the blue the standby member is shown as removed in the show switch overview and the switch is no longer available. In the serial console, the switch is in ROMMON mode and a switch reload leads to ROMMON. It seems that the boot image cannot be loaded, but all files are in the flash:

We use bundle mode for our other switches, so I copied the latest image to the two stack members and changed the mode to bundle mode. The switches then start in an normal state.

The behaviour occured several times. but it seems to happen mainly in install mode.

Has anyone had the same experience?

Thank you!

Kind regards Sascha

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade to 17.9.4a.  

Here is a very good reason why:  Multiple Vulnerabilities in Cisco IOS XE Software Web UI Feature (CVSS:  10.0)

This security vulnerability is currently aggressively being exploited and >36000 internet-facing interfaces have been detected with implants. 

This security vulnerability is is tracked under CSCwh87343.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Consider using latest advisory https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286320046/type/282046477/release/Cupertino-17.9.4  and check if that can help , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi marce1000,

I have done that. As I mentioned above, I copied the latest image to the stack. I don't know if it helps because the error occurred after some time.

The error pattern is so strange, I was wondering if anyone had seen this error too.

Sascha

-  I have not seen the particular problem myself buy you can  for instance configure a syslog server on the (entire) stack,  and then follow up on logs send to it , (also during normal times) ; sometimes you can then get insights on the cause of the issue , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade to 17.9.4a.  

Here is a very good reason why:  Multiple Vulnerabilities in Cisco IOS XE Software Web UI Feature (CVSS:  10.0)

This security vulnerability is currently aggressively being exploited and >36000 internet-facing interfaces have been detected with implants. 

This security vulnerability is is tracked under CSCwh87343.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card