Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 Password Recovery

I must be blind today because I cannot find any information about this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

38 Replies 38

Your answer is wrong. The correct way to password recover a Catalyst 9300 is here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_166_sys_mgmt_9300_cg/b_166_sys_mgmt_9300_cg_chapter_01100.html#task_nzq_q4z_n1b

Procedure

Step 1

Connect a terminal or PC to the switch.

• Connect a terminal or a PC with terminal-emulation software to the switch console port. If you are recovering the password for a switch stack, connect to the console port of the active switch.

• Connect a PC to the Ethernet management port. If you are recovering the password for a switch stack, connect to the Ethernet management port of a stack member .

Step 2

Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.

Step 3

Power off the standalone switch or the entire switch stack.

Step 4

Reconnect the power cord to the switch or the active switch. As soon as the System LED blinks, press and release the Mode button 2-3 times. The switch enters the ROMMON mode.

Initializing Hardware...

System Bootstrap, Version 16.6.1r [FC1], RELEASE SOFTWARE (P)
Compiled Sat 07/15/2017  8:31:57.39 by rel

Current image running: 
Primary Rommon Image

Last reset cause: SoftwareReload         <---- Start pressing and releasing the mode button
C9300-24U platform with 8388608 Kbytes of main memory

attempting to boot from [flash:packages.conf]

Located file packages.conf 
#
#####################################################################

Unable to load cat9k-rpboot.16.06.02b.SPA.pkg
Failed to boot file flash:user/packages.conf
ERROR: failed to boot from flash:packages.conf (Aborted) <--- will abort
switch:  
switch:  <---- ROMMON

Proceed to the Procedure with Password Recovery Enabled section, and follow the steps.

Step 5

After recovering the password, reload the switch or the active switch .

On a switch:

Switch> reload
Proceed with reload? [confirm] y

On the active switch:

Switch> reload slot <stack-active-member-number>
Proceed with reload? [confirm] y

Step 6

Power on the remaining switches in the stack.

I'm in the similar situation in which I rebooted several times and finally received the switch: onto my console. I've been unable to type anything but the boot process was interrupted. Please provide me any information if possible

thanks

Thank you so much, this is correct! The old way of holding down the mode button was not worked for me and I was stumped.

did this, now I it wont prompt for password. startup config is correct with passwords, run config is default. Try copy start run, wr mem but does not stick on reload.??

Thank you Daryl, your answer worked for me!!

hi,

Guys. I was in process of IOS upgrade of my production stack. primary device got upgraded, secondary device shwoed version mismatch error once, then showed secondary switch was in provisioned mode but did not boot & went in rommon.

I tried to copy ios from usb, it did not allow. even tried to use set variables but no success. switch is still in rommon. Now I have disconnected it and have brought out of production.

please share steps to recover from this & add in stack again.

Thanks in advance.

Did you add the auto-copy option to the end of the install command? It is unusual that you could not copy from USB though, what was the error you received? Make sure the 'software auto-upgrade' command is present on the master and then reconnect the member and then power on.  You may need to downgrade the master to match the member and start from scratch.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Switch: SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=1

is that command case sensitive ? 

are these guide will to erase/default all config or just a reset/recovery password?

previously many thanks bout for the guided.

Hi Minhaj Uddin,

What if the switch is stacked? Do we need to remote the switches from stack first? or assign master to another member?

Many thanks.

Anson

You do not need to break the stack.

Thank you Miuddin,

This worked perfect!!

How can i resolve this probleme pleaseMicrosoftTeams-image (3).png

That may be an issue with your terminal settings

Select port 115200 for 9300 switch

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card