cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9500 12Q Breakout

markmcg87
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 9500 12Q with nothing but 40GB QSFP ports running 17.3.4.  I've purchased a breakout cable to take the connection to 4x 10GB connections and have been attempting to follow the directions in the following link

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/16-8/configuration_guide/int_and_hw/b_168_int_and_hw_9500_cg/b_168_int_and_hw_9500_cg_chapter_00.html#reference_s4v_vbp_tdb

With the cable inserted, the switch recognizes the 40GB connection when I run "show interface status".  I then remove the cable, run the hw-module breakout command (there is only 1 switch here, no stacks), and reinsert the cable.  The output of show interface status is exactly the same as before. 

When I run "show ip interface brief"  I see 12x40G interfaces and 48x10G interfaces.  I never see any of the 10G interfaces in the show interface status output. 

Any ideas?   

5 Replies 5

klklklkl.png

That command is what I used.  I have tried it on Fo1/0/1 using command "hw-mod breakout module 1 port 1 switch1"  and port Fo1/0/2 using "hw-mod breakout module 1 port 2 switch 1"    

As I mentioned above, those Te ports are showing under "sh ip int bri" regardless of whether I have the hw-mod breakout command ran or not.  At no point do the appropriate Te interfaces (depending on which Fo interface I try to break out) go into an active state and show up under "sh interface status".  I have attempted to just go ahead and configure the Te ports and plug cables in, but I get no action on those interfaces (no link lights, no indications in the CLI that the ports are going up or down, no packets seen on those interfaces).  

When I have the break out cable plugged in, I do see in "sh interface status" that the Fo port is recognizing it as a 40G QSFP AOC5

I have also seen/used that guide prior to posting the original question.  The commands are the same.  I am definitely running the commands as the guide is written.

Is there some way to verify if I'm having a hardware issue or some kind of debug I can run when I'm issuing the hw-mod breakout command which will give me some output/indication of what is happening (or not happening)?

"hw-mod breakout module 1 port 1 switch1" 
module is 1 
port is from 1 to 12 for 9500-12Q
SW =1 "you mention that his is standalone"

now 
go to T2=1/0/1 <- check the status here 

repeat but change only the port number
try this way

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card