Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst & Nexus speed compatibility

tnkurunziza
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

We want to buy CISCO NEXUS 9300 new switches in our Enterprise. These switches will be used as Core and distribution switches. In our network we have switches with 100 Mbps et 1 Gbps. While I searched the CISCO NEXUS 9300 switches, I found that it can support 10 Gbps, 25 Gbps and above speed. My question is to know whether CISCO NEXUS 9300 switches with 10 Gbps interface ports can be connected to low speed switches of 1 Gbps or 100 Mbps interface ports? Can auto negociation take in place over UTP CAT6 Ethernet cables?

Thank you in advance for your response!!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

On the 9300, the speed of the uplinks is usually fixed, meaning if you get the device with a 10Gig uplink you can only connect it to a 10Gig port. My suggestion is if you are planning to connect the 9300 to a 1Gig switch, purchase the 9300 with a flexible 1Gig uplink module and not 10Gig. I don't see support for 100Mb in the datasheet.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/nb-06-cat9300-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

On the 9300, the speed of the uplinks is usually fixed, meaning if you get the device with a 10Gig uplink you can only connect it to a 10Gig port. My suggestion is if you are planning to connect the 9300 to a 1Gig switch, purchase the 9300 with a flexible 1Gig uplink module and not 10Gig. I don't see support for 100Mb in the datasheet.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/nb-06-cat9300-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card