cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst C9500-32C versus C9500-32QC questions

gp1200x
Level 2
Level 2

More 95xx questions!   In the past I have learned that Cisco marketing doesn't provide full details so I want to make sure I don't get dragged under the bus a 3rd time!  I know that specs contained in their data sheets can sometimes be misleading.

Scenario - I am designing an upgrade for our aging network and need to come up with a rounded cost for our budget managers.  The core 6509 pair will be replaced with a set of 9606Rs with a SVL - that's a done deal in my mind and already figured out. However at some of our larger remote sites (users only with no real servers) I am trying to cut corners to keep the costs down --- so a pair 9606rs or even a single 9606r with dual sups is just too much considering the bandwidth they actually need.

So  ---  I have a remote site with a lot of 10Gb connections to a 6509 (24 presently). As we upgrade our 3750E/X switchstacks (20Gb etherchannels) and add more 93xx stacks I want the ability to upgrade to 40/100Gb links.  This site links to our data center via a pair of dark fiber links along with dual backup rings in case the two point to point links fail. Since I will first replace the 6509 by itself and the stacks slowly over time, I want to be able to support all the 10Gb uplinks and eventually convert many or all to 40Gb. The two dark fiber links to the main site will be upped to 100Gbs.

My thoughts are that I will have a pair of C9500-24Y4C-E using a SVL to support all of my 10Gb etherchanneled stacks and these C9500-24Y4C-E will be multi-chassis etherchanneled to a pair of C9500-32C-A switches that are also using a SVL. The L3 routing will all be done on the C9500-32C-A stacks.

Questions---

I need more info on the C9500-32C versus the C9500-32QC switches. 

Can I assume that I could create 10Gb etherchannels (dual for a 20Gb total link) directly on the C9500-32C if I use that 40 to 10Gb adapter in a 40/100Gb slot??   If so maybe two C9500-32Cs would totally suffice for everything!

What does the 40 to 4 10Gb breakouts provide?  Can I create an etherchannel to a 3750X with this if I used four ports?? Could I just use two of the four ports (assuming it supported the four ports in an etherchannel)

How does the C9500-32QC actually get cabled?  If I use a 100Gb port do I loose the port under it or if it is port 1 do I loose port 16???

Is everything else identical on these two machines (except for the 100Gb port count, speed, mem etc). In other words do they both support the same exact transceivers? Like the new 40/100 BIDI one that was released?

If I create an SLV between C9500-32Cs can I use 100Gb connections or are they limited to 40Gb   (with a maximum of 8  links??)?

THANKS!

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card