cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCNP Switch Study Devices

Daniel Demers
Level 1
Level 1

Finished my CCNA and now I am working on my NP Switch. What devices do I need in order to practice. I was thinking 3550 or 3560.....however I heard they dont support private VLANs. What is the next one up? From my search I think 3750 would do it?

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Without checking config guides and/or reference guides, don't recall whether 3550 or 3560 support PVLANs but except for 3750 stacking features, a 3650 and 3750 are pretty much identical feature wise.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Reading Kishore's and Peter's replies one might infer (although I'm sure they didn't intend) PVLANs might only be supported on the 3750 and not 3560; what they note is true for 3560s too.

Here's config guide example for 3560 about PVLANs:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/swpvlan.html

PS:

PVLAN support matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a0080094830.shtml

Joseph,

Thanks for clarifying the things! Yes, absolutely: 3560 and 3750 do support PVLANs. They do not support special PVLAN trunk types which are usually not required anyway. For common PVLAN usage, ordinary trunks should be used and that is what the 3560 and 3750 support nicely.

Best regards,

Peter

3750 does support PVLAN's. However, it doesnt support promiscous trunks

Hello Kishore,

You're absolutely right. And in current CCNP, I haven't seen any topics related to special PVLAN trunks.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card