Views
Helpful
Replies

CEF enabled PBR on Cisco ASR 1001

kmittal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello All,

We are planning to turn on policy based routing (PBR) on one of our Cisco ASR 1001, on which average resource utilization is around 50%. I came across document that says flow switching will be disabled on the interface on which PBR is enabled, but does not say anything about effects on CEF switching and also i could not find in any other supporting document:-

Comment on the document

" ip policy route-map command disables fast switching of all packets arriving on this interface."

Link where i found the above comment:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_pi/configuration/xe-3s/asr1000/iri-xe-3s-asr1000-book/iri-pbr.html

I am interested to know if there would any underline effect to CEF switching after enabling PBR on the Cisco ASR 1001 interface and packet would be hardware switched instead of process-switched. Also if there is a supporting document that says it would be helpful in supporting this claim on Cisco ASR 1001,

We are running image asr1001-universalk9.03.03.01.S.151-2.S1.bin on the router with advipservices license

Thanks

Kumar Mittal

2 Replies 2

kmittal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

Got it tested in lab. Cisco ASR 1001 supports CEF enabled PBR. Even though the flow switching is disabled on the interface after enabling command ip policy route-map, but there is no effect on CEF.

Thanks

Kumar

vadamov
Level 1
Level 1

According to the "Network Security Features for Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers" PBR is supported in hardware:

The Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router is the industry’s first highly scalable WAN and Internet edge router platform that delivers embedded hardware acceleration for Cisco IOS® Software services such as VPN, firewall, Network-Based Application Recognition (NBAR), NetFlow, quality of service (QoS), IP Multicast, access control lists (ACLs), Reverse Path Forwarding (RPF), and Policy-Based Routing (PBR), without the need for separate service blades.

Document is found here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/application-networking-services/wide-area-application-services-waas-software/data_sheet__network_security_features_for_cisco_asr_1000_series_routers.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card