cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Channel Protocol command in EtherChannel? is that new?

hello

i've never seen the "channel protocol lacp/pagp" command before in all the study material i've seen

i've seen and configured EtherChannels myself without it

interface range ____

channel-group _ mode ___

what's going on with this? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Channel protocol  -lacp/pagp

I think there isnt any need for this command in aggregation ports. as the channel protocol is negotiated with the active/passive or desirable/auto  int the channel-group x mode command.

If you set the same protocol on the physical interfaces>

int /x/
channel-protocol pagp
channel-group x mode desirable/auto

or
int /x/
channel-protocol lacp
channel-group x mode active/passive

then its allowed, however is you set the reverse it wont be.

int /x/
channel-protocol pagp

My view , I think this can be applied to single interfaces facing some server but its not applicable in present ehterchanneling

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello

Channel protocol  -lacp/pagp

I think there isnt any need for this command in aggregation ports. as the channel protocol is negotiated with the active/passive or desirable/auto  int the channel-group x mode command.

If you set the same protocol on the physical interfaces>

int /x/
channel-protocol pagp
channel-group x mode desirable/auto

or
int /x/
channel-protocol lacp

then its allowed, however is you set the reverse it wont be.

int /x/
channel-protocol pagp

My view , I think this can be applied to single interfaces facing some server but its not applicable in present ehterchanneling

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

in CCNA material, i've never seen it

it was actually a CCNP guide where i saw it

seems like it doesn't do anything

The channel-Protocol command in not necessary, the ether channel will form just fine without it. The reason for the channel-protocol command was that people found the various terms such as Active/Passive/Desirable/Auto/On etc confusing, which follow when you type channel-group X mode ? Therefore some bright guy came up with the channel-protocol command, so that when this command is on an interface, the channel-group X mode will only accept commands which go with the protocol you define. Eg. if you selected channel-protocol to be LACP, it will only accept the active/passive argument with the channel-group command, nothing else. So you can't accidentally specify the protocol to be lacp and then turn round any try to use the mode desirable with the channel-group command.

See below from cisco switch: see it rejected the desirable argument/because the protocol is lacp

ALS2(config)#int fast 0/20
ALS2(config-if)#switchport mode access
ALS2(config-if)#channel-protocol lacp
ALS2(config-if)#channel-group 20 mode desirable
Command rejected (Channel protocol mismatch for interface Fa0/20 in group 20): the interface can not be added to the channel group

Thanks for Clarifying, Kam! I have same question on my staud and your answer is perfect (i did tried it and you are correct on this one).. channel-protocol is not required on this configuration as long as active/passive or desirable/auto are correctly configure
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card