cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2511 Terminal Server - graceful disconnect on exit

wbullock
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a Cisco 2511 as a terminal server. I connect the octopus cable to serveral Cisco router consoles.

Connections work fine. When I disconnect the session on the router with the "exit" command, it should pop me back to the Cisco 2511 command prompt, right?

As it is, I have to hit control Shift 6 x and disconnect the session. Otherwise when I hit return and I'm back in the router I just disconnected from through the serial port. I think I should be back the the console on the Cisco 2511 terminal server.

Ironically, if I let the target router timeout, it works exactly as I think it should on disconnect. I get the message: Connection to Router1 closed by foreign host. So, it seems like what I want to do should be possible.

I have experimented with modem DTR-active, autohangup but I have not found a combination that disconnects cleanly.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You have to control-shift-6 then x to exit from your current telnet session.  After that you do a "sh sess" and just type the line/connection number to get back into the box again

Here is a link explaning it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a008014f8e7.shtml

HTH

Reza

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am using a Cisco 2511 as a terminal server. I connect the octopus cable to serveral Cisco router consoles.

Connections work fine. When I disconnect the session on the router with the "exit" command, it should pop me back to the Cisco 2511 command prompt, right?

As it is, I have to hit control Shift 6 x and disconnect the session. Otherwise when I hit return and I'm back in the router I just disconnected from through the serial port. I think I should be back the the console on the Cisco 2511 terminal server.

Ironically, if I let the target router timeout, it works exactly as I think it should on disconnect. I get the message: Connection to Router1 closed by foreign host. So, it seems like what I want to do should be possible.

I have experimented with modem DTR-active, autohangup but I have not found a combination that disconnects cleanly.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Hi,

Have you tried a command disconnect when you have connected to some router session via terminal server.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card