cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2950-Cable Question

Bob Boklewski
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue here with cabling, not sure what to do.  We are being handed off ethernet from our isp, it is a business only broadband connection and wherever the demarc is there is the ISP'S switch and the extension from the dmarc to our suite is a straight through cable (must be).  What I did was put in a 2950 switch before our firewall so I can hand off an external ip to another router that will connect to this 2950.  The problem is I used a straight through cable from this ISP's jack in our suite to our 2950 (Doesn't support auto-mdix) and the connection didn't come up.  However, I used a crossover and the connection came up.  The thing is, I don't know if this will be reliable, because basically it is straight thru cable from the ISP's switch to the port in our suite and then I am going crossover from there.  I have never tried mix and matching cables like this because usually I have an ISP's router right in my suite. Does anybody have any idea here if this is a bad situation even though it is working?  Maybe it is working because the ISP's switch does support auto-mdix, just don't know if it is a good idea.

Let me know,

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is correct.  You just need to cross it on one side.

HTH

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Completely common and normal.  There is no issue what that connectivity. The older switches don't support auto-mdix and so in order to connect one switch to another you have to use a crossover cable and that is what you did.

You are good to go.

HTH

Right, but usually it is crossover from one switch right to the other.  Here it is ISP's switch straight through to a port in our suite then crossover to our switch.  Just don't know if that is a good idea mixing cable types like that.

It doesn't really matter.  The cable has to get crossed some where.  Now, you can go directly from one switch to another using a cross over cable or go straight to the wall jack and then cross to the other switch.

HTH

So even though it isn't crossed to ISP's switch it is fine to cross to my switch?  Probably because their switch supports auto-mdix right, so it doesn't matter?

That is correct.  You just need to cross it on one side.

HTH

Thanks, this helps, now I don't have to buy a switch that supports auto-mdix, just a long crossover.

Correct.

Please rate and mark the post as answered so others can benefit from it.

Thanks,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card