Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3172tq - set ip for vlan

urbaman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to add an ip to a vlan different from mgmt0 on this switch? How? It seems for example

Interfece vlan 100

Does not work, so how can I set it to access the uplink router for network access?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

urbaman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Probably already solved.

I'm using it as a L2 switch to distribute vlans and traffic, just needed to properly setup the mgmt0 interface, link it to one of the ports (which will be on vlan 100, my homelab management vlan), setup the management vrf for routing and dns resolving.

Now, I can connect to the switch ok the vlan, and can ping and reach ntp servers from the vrf.

Now I link all of the vlans to the router/firewall to properly manage the intervlan routing.

Hope this makes sense.

I'll see if I'll need to make the switch also reachable on the other vlans (activating L3 vlans), but I just need to have it on the vlan 100.

Thank you very much.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Has vlan 100 been created on this switch? Could you post the output from "interface ?"

Is it perhaps a simple typing mistake? Interfece vlan 100

HTH

Rick

urbaman
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, so probably I only have to enable interface-vlan before being able to add ips to the VLANs.

So, let's say I have like 10 VLANs (10....100), each with its own subnet (10.0.x.0).

Now, I'd like to make the switch accessible and manageable from VLAN 100. Should I only set VLAN 100 as SVI, leaving the others as L2 VLANs?
Also, how can I make that VLAN have access to the router/firewall to be able to use ntp servers outside?

Thank you.

We do not have much information about your environment and that makes it difficult to give good advice. It seems that your 3172tq has multiple vlans and connects to an upstream router. Is that correct? It is not clear how you want this switch to function. Is it to operate as a layer 2 switch that can forward traffic from multiple vlans using mac address information to the upstream router which will do the intervlan routing. Or is it to operate as a layer 3 switch that can forward traffic using IP address information and do intervlan routing?

If operating as layer 2 switch then it needs only a single IP address on some interface. If operating as layer 3 then it needs multiple IP addresses. Which is your case?

HTH

Rick

urbaman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Probably already solved.

I'm using it as a L2 switch to distribute vlans and traffic, just needed to properly setup the mgmt0 interface, link it to one of the ports (which will be on vlan 100, my homelab management vlan), setup the management vrf for routing and dns resolving.

Now, I can connect to the switch ok the vlan, and can ping and reach ntp servers from the vrf.

Now I link all of the vlans to the router/firewall to properly manage the intervlan routing.

Hope this makes sense.

I'll see if I'll need to make the switch also reachable on the other vlans (activating L3 vlans), but I just need to have it on the vlan 100.

Thank you very much.

Thanks for the update. Glad to know that you worked it out.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card