Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 3500xl and Gbics

Andrewkauble
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have got a couple cisco 3500xl switches which I am attempting to connect via GBIC fibre connections. Once up and running I can insert the Gbics and their state goes to up. I have given the no shutdown command on the interfaces on both switches and copied the running configuration to the startup configuration. However, when I cold boot the switches the Gbic modules will not power on. The only way they will stay on is if I warm reload the switches. Any ideas?

Thanks a ton!!!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Warm/Cold reboot a 3500XL?  That's not possible because the 2900XL/3500XL doesn't support that command.

During the reboot/reload stage the GBICs will not work because the ASIC hasn't finished doing it's Power On Self Test.  Once it's completed, the switch has to load the IOS, then the toaster, then the coffee, then the config.  Y'know the drill.  

Andrewkauble
Level 1
Level 1

By warm reboot I mean issue the reload command. By cold reboot I mean unplug the power and then power it back on. After post is complete the GBICs never come on until I unplug/plug them back in. I am trying to avoid having to do this if the power fails and battery backup runs out of battery...which is unlikely in the first place but these switches are going to be on the top of a mountain only accessible by helicopter...so I'd like to get it right. Lol

Thanks again

After post is complete the GBICs never come on until I unplug/plug them back in.

Alright, now this I've never heard or seen before.   I have experience in managing a fleet of 500 x 3500XL and this is new to me.

1.  What IOS are you running?

2.  What exact model of your GBIC?

these switches are going to be on the top of a mountain only accessible by helicopter

Whaaaa????

How can I ask you to reconsider your choice switch?   Please don't use the 3500XL.  3500XL is a ten (or more) years old switch.  It's very feature-poor switch and I hate to see these break down.

Oh I would love to change them out...I really would, but as a grunt I dont have the choice... My boss has decided to go with these switches

and there is no convincing of otherwise...he knows they are only 10/100 yet is connecting them via Gibic....beats me...anyways just trying to finish the task he has given me and unfortunately I am new to supporting cisco equipment.

IOS version is 12.0

GBIC'S are Finisar FTR-1519-62 1620nm Single Mode GBIC Transceiver

Thanks again for even looking at this mess

IOS version is 12.0

That's not complete.  Can you be more specific?  XU?  WC1?  etc.

GBIC'S are Finisar FTR-1519-62 1620nm Single Mode GBIC Transceiver

Remember what I said about "I've never seen this before"?  This could be the issue.   Can you verify that these are Cisco branded GBIC and made by Finnisar or are they plain-and-simple Finnisar GBIC?

If the GBICs are indeed Finnisar branded, then try using a Cisco branded ones.  The 3500XL will accept a majority of non-Cisco branded GBIC at a cost of "compatibility" issues like what you are looking now.

Thanks again for even looking at this mess

Don't worry.  I enjoy puzzles like these.

My boss has decided to go with these switches and there is no convincing of otherwise

I hope your Frequent Flyer card is up-to-date because you'll be up there more than you imagine.  Don't forget to bring picnic baskets too! 

PS:  I hope you're not afraid of flying or heights.

Andrewkauble
Level 1
Level 1

As for the IOS I'll have to check the full version tomorrow at work. They are indeed finisar not branded cisco

He has decided to "save money" up front and cost more in the end I suppose.

They are indeed finisar not branded cisco

Ok then that could be the issue.  I'm not sure if upgrading the IOS could help because I've never used a non-Cisco part on a Cisco appliance.   Change the GBIC and see the difference.  Besides, GBIC nowadays are a-dime-a-dozen.  Anyone can get a Cisco-branded GBIC from e-Bay.

He has decided to "save money" up front and cost more in the end I suppose.

I've got a good joke for this but I'm not going down that slippery slope.

Tell your budget-minded boss that Cisco appliance are very, very reliable and robust.  As a proof, take a look at the attachment of a 4000/4500 chassis in "action".

HP/H3, Nortel/Avaya, Foundry, etc. couldn't come close.

Andrewkauble
Level 1
Level 1

That's incredible.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card