Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3550 Catalyst switch

OsBrain
Level 1
Level 1

First time poster! 

Anyway, I've acquired a Catalyst 3550 for my practice lab. I have been able to log in via rollover cable. Now I have connected another switch (via RJ45) from my setup into this new switch, but it doesn't come up. I've ran no shut on the port, checked the vlan settings (inc switchport) all the basics; this switch refuses to come alive. First thing I had done when I received this switch was factory reset it. I think the switch is dead.

Has anybody come across this same issue or something similar? Any light shed would be appreciated.

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@OsBrain wrote:

I have connected another switch (via RJ45) from my setup into this new switch, but it doesn't come up. 

What kind of cable are you using?

Standard cat5e cable. I've plugged the same cable from another 3550 to 2960, the port comes alive. I've tried many other cables including cat6

3550 is an old switch and this model doesn't support MDI/MDI-X.  So I want to know if a straight-through cable or a cross-over cable was used.

Ah.. They are straight-through cables

Please use cross-over.

I will try this soon and definitely notify you on my findings.

Thanks for the support Leo

As Leo notes, for like (kind of) devices you need a cross over cable unless at least one of the devices support auto MDI/MDI-X or one of the devices has, or can be configured, to have the necessary MDI or MDI-X port to use a straight-thru cable.

I'll check the configurations of the switches/ports for MDI support

What is at the other end of the 3550? A 2960 switch?

I have both 2960 and 3550. The port between 2960 & 3550 are in an up/up state whereas 3550 & 3550 won't establish a connection.

I have found this switch doesn't support MDI-X which renders it useless to me.

Thank you for your help

@OsBrain wrote:

I have found this switch doesn't support MDI-X which renders it useless to me. 

2960 supports MDI/MDI-X.  Just make sure to resist the temptation to hard code the speed/duplex settings.  Because MDI/MDI-X is automatically disabled once speed &/or duplex is hard coded.

Hello Hello

Been awhile, but I have feedback. I made a crossover cable using a cat5e & cat6 but I had no luck with the two switches connecting. 

It's still very puzzling. I'll run some more troubleshoots when I find time.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card