Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 3850 License feature upgrade from Lan base to IP services

Saurabh K verma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I have some doubt about cisco 3850 feature license upgrade from LAN base to IP Base or IP services. Cisco now offering RTU license for most of the product; wherein we don’t need any license file to the switch anymore. We need to just purchase the license then apply the command “license right-to-use activate ipservices all acceptEULA” after that save the configuration and reload the switch that’s all the job to upgrade the switch from LAN base to IP Services.

Assume that I have a cisco 3850 switch with LAN base image (switch will a L3 but feature wise its L2 only) PID – WS-C3850-24T-L, I planned then to use L3 feature of the switch i.e. IP ROUTING or allow communicate over different Vlan so conceptually I should have a IP Base or IP Services license installed on the switch to have Layer 3 feature like IP ROUTING. Let’s suppose I did not requested for a license to our point of sale or cisco account manager and simply I used the command license right-to-use activate ipservices all acceptEULA” then I could save my license cost, Since the license is RTU which is not mandatory to purchase it from cisco.

In earlier version the license installation method was to first get the PAK key (which will be issued by cisco once we pay for the license cost) and go the cisco license manager portal afterward put your UDI PID information and get a .lic file and install it to particular devices. But RTU license does not require any license file to be uploaded on switch.

I believe that it’s not that much easy to save the license cost with cisco, but still I am in confusion that if I can get the feature without paying anything than what is the mean to pay and get the feature upgrade from LAN base to IP Services.

Your responses are highly appreciated.

Best Regards

Saurabh

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I guess it depends on how you feel about stealing.

If you are happy to steal your groceries every week - just because you can - then I guess go ahead.  but don't be upset if it eventually ends badly.

Turning on a feature without paying for it is theft.  Weather Cisco make this hard or easy to do is irrelevant.  It is still theft.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card