Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4500-X Series Processing Redundancy

Mohamed Hussein
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I was searching Cisco website for a switch with power and processing redundancy, I found in a CCNP related article that the Catalyst 4500-X supports supervisor/route process redundancy, but when I read its data sheet I couldn't find any mention of this feature, Can anyone inform me if this series actually supports this feature or not?

Thanks..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, I see this. I believe, it is a mistake, or they just ment, that the redundancy can be achieved by some other means.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Boris Uskov
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, Mohamed.

The power supply redundancy is supported. You can order following product numbers:

Power Supply

C4KX-PWR-750AC-F

Catalyst 4500-X 750W AC Back-to-Front Cooling Power Supply

C4KX-PWR-750AC-R

Catalyst 4500-X 750W AC Front-to-Back Cooling Power Supply

C4KX-PWR-750DC-F

Catalyst 4500-X 750W DC Back-to-Front Cooling Power Supply

C4KX-PWR-750DC-R

Catalyst 4500-X 750W DC Front-to-Back Cooling Power Supply

Router processor is not supported, but you can achieve redundancy by using VSS technology.

You can band two 4500X Switches into VSS Stack.

For more information about VSS, please, see the following article:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/124626/virtual-switching-system-vss-configuration-cisco-4500-series-switches

Thank you Boris for your reply, but if you can kindly check this article http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2348265&seqNum=2 

It clearly says that this series has a processing redundancy, could be just a mistake?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, the article states processor redundancy for the 4500-X, but I didn't see it specify how that redundancy was provided.  It could be, as Boris already noted, just via VSS.

Thank you guys, I think your explanation is logical.

Yes, I see this. I believe, it is a mistake, or they just ment, that the redundancy can be achieved by some other means.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: