Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4510-R Switching Module Question

bmiller2323
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I know this might be an elementary question, but I have searched and can't find an answer for it.

I have a Cisco 4510R with 5 switching modules. Would it help my network to keep different parts of it on different modules? IE: servers on one module, clients on another module. Or is all bandwidth handled the same throughout the switch?

I have the following:

2 - WS-x4516 Supervisor V Cards

5 - WS-X4548-GB-RJ45

Thanks,

Brandon

3 Replies 3

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Look at the data sheet for your card.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-4500-series-line-cards/product_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea.html

Fig 21

WS-X4548-GB-RJ45:

●   48 ports

●   10/100/1000 module (RJ-45)

●   Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(19)EW or later

●   IEEE 802.3x flow control

●   Bandwidth is allocated across six 8-port groups, providing 1 Gbps per port group

●   Enterprise and commercial: designed for gigabit to the desktop

Your card is from classical (older) category.
So 6 x 8 groups that means there are 6 ASICs that each have connectivity to the chassis backplane.
IE// The ports share 6Gig of bandwidth.

The ports are broken up with 1-8 on ASIC 1, 9-16 on ASIC 2 etc etc.

So you can sse you would not want to put your servers on ports 1-5 , better to space them out accross the ASICs.

(The card is really designed for user desktop connections)

For the SUP V
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/product_data_sheet09186a00801fcaba.html

Again this is a classical supervisor and also has 6Gig connectivity to the backplane so the 2 x 1Gig ports have ample bandwidth to operate
together at full tilt .

Hope this helps
Regards
Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brandon,

It is good idea to put the servers in one module or even 2 and the put the clients in different modules.

So for example:

module 1 and 2 for servers.  Modules 3,4 and 5 for clients. This way if you lose one module you don't lose all the servers.

HTH

Hello,

Please check acampbell answer for detail information about your module. I experienced slow throughput in this module. Each ASIC will drop the traffic exceeding 1G in group of 6 and dropping  is not obvious to be noticed since it is done by ASIC.

If have enough port density, team your server NICs with 2 swithport to achieve 2G and leave the next 4 ports empty and then start from the next 6 group. And you can also use two different modules for teaming purpose to acheive better fault tolerance.

Masoud

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card