Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6500 Series Install w/ SUPs

mike.yentsch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have been assigned to a project to do a "preliminary" install for some Cisco 6509, 6504, 6513, and 6500 management chassises all using SUP32's. I have only used Cisco Catalyst stand-alone switches before so this is all new to me. All I have to do is assign an IP address so another team can access them remotely to make all the customizations/configurations.

I've been trying to do some research to find somewhat of an install guide or tutorial to make these minor configurations. Cisco is reluctant to disclose much information on these topics. Or I am just looking in to the wrong place. Like I mentioned, all I need to do is assign and IP to the device so it can be accessed remotely so it's a pretty simple configuration (or one would think it is) but my Cisco experience is limited.

If anyone can help me with this it'd be greatly appreciated. Below is a list of the equipment I'll be installing in greater detail.

• Cisco 6509 w/ SUP32GE-3B
  • Cisco 6504 w/ SUP3210GE-3B
  • Cisco 6513 w/ SUP32GE-3B

Any information or direction would be great! Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Excellent.  This should be very easy for you.  When you receive the text file, look at the first two lines.  They should read:

enable

config t

Then the rest of the config.  The reason these 1st two lines are important is because 'enable' will get you to exec mode, and 'config t' will get you to confguration mode, and if this is an out-of-the-box switch this will be the only way to get to configuration mode.  If these 2 lines start the text file, simply bring up the switch and when you see the 'Switch>' prompt, copy/paste the contents of the text file directly to the console session.  If these two lines are missing from the beginning of the text file, all you have to do to get to config mode is this, when you console in to the switch when it gets to the 'Switch>' prompt is type (-Enter- means carriage return or simply pressing the 'Enter' key on the keyboard):

enable      -Enter-

config t      -Enter-

Then copy the contents of the configuration and paste it directly to the session that you have open.  When the paste is finished, type:

end     -Enter-

wr     -Enter-

This will save the config to the switch.  That's it.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

gdrandles
Level 1
Level 1

Mike,

With the 6500, you have to install the Sup engine in specific slots depending on the chassis size:

• Slot 1 or 2 in 3-slot chassis
  • Slot 5 or 6 in 6-slot or 9-slot chassis
  • Slot 7 or 8 in 13-slot chassis

You have the option of two slots if you have redundant Sup engines.  Are you placing these switches in an access closet?  Will they be connected to another switch via a trunk or access port?  By default, all of your ports will be in VLAN 1 just like a stand alone switch.  You can configure the VLAN 1 ip address, subnet mask, and then configure the global gateway IP.  If you are connected to a another switch and that port is configured for the VLAN you want, then you should be able to ping the gateway for that VLAN.  Make sure you configure the enable password and vty password to enable telnet for remote access.  These are the most basic settings that I can think of.

Thanks for the quick response and sorry for the lack of information. As I mentioned, I'm not experience with these larger implementations. I'm still trying to gain as much information from my POC on what all I need to do. All I've been told to do is configure an IP address for these devices so they can be managed remotely.

I have not been told whether there will be trunk ports or access ports used on these devices. I would assume this would all be configured by the team coming in behind me. So I would just need to provide access to these devices in order to do so. Does that make sense?

It seems as though there are no redundant SUPs. I will have to console to these devices so I feel as though I just need to configure the vlan1 IP, sub-net mask, and gateway.

Sorry for the lack of information. The number of questions you are asking me and the lack of answers I have is making me a little warry going into this..heh

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

Will the other team access the switch remotely on from LAN? Over the internet? If this is as simple as you make it sound, all you need to do is

enable ip routing

• ip routing

configure vlan 1 interface

• int vlan 1
  • ip address 10.1.1.7 255.255.255.0

add a default route

• ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.1

configure a username and password

• username admin privilege 15 password whatever-password

and configure your vty lines.

• line vty 0 15
  • login local
  • transport input ssh telnet <---telnet optional

All ports will default to vlan 1.  Make sure that you perform a 'no shut' command on the port(s) that you will use to connect to the network.  Any extra security configs should be specific to your organization.  Configuring a 6500, on a basic level, is much like the standalone switch config.

mike.yentsch
Level 1
Level 1

Heh, that's just it, given my level of Cisco experience and hearing what they need me to do, it sounds like it is that simple. The questions I'm getting from responses now though are making me second guess that. As mentioned in my earlier response, I'm still trying to obtain as much information as possible from my POC, who is not a tech so he had a very high-level synopsis of what I need to do.

As for your questions; the team coming behind me will not be on-site so they will be accessing from the internet. I haven't received any info on routers or WAN connections so I don't believe I will be touching any of the perimeter devices.

Once again sorry for the lack of information. I was sort-of "thrown into" this project because of a lack of available personel.

I greatly appreciate the response! Thanks!

Don't panic.  This should be a fairly simple setup, considering the information that you have provided thusfar.  I can only assume that this configuration is simple enough that you won't  have to worry about routing the traffic from the internet to the switch, so I would go with the configuration that I posted previously (I'll adjust config so that you only need to worry about vlan1 for management).  I'd assume if the requirement becomes more when the other team connects, they will let you know, but for the sake of simply allowing access and nothin more, that should do it.

Yeah I would assume since I haven't been briefed with any information on routers/routing I shouldn't have to perform any configuration for incoming traffic. I'd like to assume there is either a Point-to-Point or Dial-Up VPN setup between where this other team is and the site I'll be at. We'll see...

Thank you for the info. It's greatly helped. Once I receive more information on the project and if I have any questions I'll be sure to post them.

Thanks, again!

I just got a more technical explanation of the SOW I'll be doing from an actual engineer. Of course, it's not as simple as just "assigning IP addresses" for these devices. I'll be loading a config for each individual switch. Fortunately, the engineer will be creating the config for me and sending them over in individual text files. Each switch has its own config txt doc.

He explained that I just need to copy/paste the configurations from the text doc to the switch. Can this be done if I console into the switch? I've never copy/pasted any configurations before.

Excellent.  This should be very easy for you.  When you receive the text file, look at the first two lines.  They should read:

enable

config t

Then the rest of the config.  The reason these 1st two lines are important is because 'enable' will get you to exec mode, and 'config t' will get you to confguration mode, and if this is an out-of-the-box switch this will be the only way to get to configuration mode.  If these 2 lines start the text file, simply bring up the switch and when you see the 'Switch>' prompt, copy/paste the contents of the text file directly to the console session.  If these two lines are missing from the beginning of the text file, all you have to do to get to config mode is this, when you console in to the switch when it gets to the 'Switch>' prompt is type (-Enter- means carriage return or simply pressing the 'Enter' key on the keyboard):

enable      -Enter-

config t      -Enter-

Then copy the contents of the configuration and paste it directly to the session that you have open.  When the paste is finished, type:

end     -Enter-

wr     -Enter-

This will save the config to the switch.  That's it.

Yeah I have two config files for two of the switches but they don't have the enable command or the config command in there. Some of the switches are brand new out of the box and some are have an old config on them already. So I will just have to enter exec mode then config mode manually, which is no problem. The person I spoke with is providing a password for me when I get out there. Thanks for the help! You've been a great resource!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card