Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 800 router series recomendation

jbcom4101
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

We have a remote site that connects back the main site using a gateway to gateway VPN connection, (HQ Cisco 5505) (Remote Site 877 Router) our Mitel phone system is located at our HQ site.

At the remote site we have 2 vlans, data and voice and maximum of 8 users...

We are upgrading our ADSL connection to BT infinity fibre broadband (VDSL connection) and we need to purchase Cisco cable Router.  BT will install the modem.

The current router hands out the following DHCP options...

ip dhcp pool DATA

network x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

default-router x.x.x.x

dns-server x.x.x.x

option 130 ascii "MITEL IP PHONE"

option 132 hex 0000.0002

option 133 hex 0000.0005

netbios-name-server x.x.x.x

netbios-node-type h-node

domain-name e.g.com

!

ip dhcp pool VOICE

network x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

default-router x.x.x.x

dns-server x.x.x.x

option 128 ip x.x.x.x

option 129 ip x.x.x.x

option 130 ascii "MITEL IP PHONE"

lease 30

I am currently investigating the 800 series (860, 880 and 890) as I think this is the correct rage for this type of scenario.... The following featrues are required:

• The ability to hand out DHCP options as above
  • Gateway to Gateway VPN connection to our Cisco 5505
  • Possibly WAN adversity  

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey whats the BT link speed ?

make sure the router you chose can handle it , saying that if your using vpn you will cut throughput in half anyway

Old doc but gives an idea of what there capable of

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

I would say an 891 type router would do ,depending on your overall traffic load , that's about 20mb throughput with vpn running, remember every service/feature you enable on these routers effects throughput as there small so always try to keep only what you require turned on

800 have dhcp , vpns and can have multiple ISP links but they are small routers so be careful not to over utilize them as they can get real slow when put under pressure but for small office like that there fine , have them on a lot of remote sites , variations of them depending on the local ISP connection

Hi Mark

BT Are stating that it will be 40mbp down & 6Mbps up but realistically probably looking at  20Mbps down and 3Up...

Thanks for helping, much appreciated...

Have you used the Cisco 860 or the 880 Series? was thinking of the 860 series...

haven't used that specific model but have used quite a few 800 series and I find once there not over utilized there generally pretty stable 

what I would be concerned about on 860 series it says on data sheet recommended users 5 while the 887 data sheet as example say 20 ,

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/data_sheet_c78_461543.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/data_sheet_c78-613481.html

Hi

I am currently looking at the 887VA router and think this one could fit our needs, but I just wanted to check with the community that this will be ok and if anyone is using it and how you find it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks everyone for helping...  

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For 46 Mbps, Cisco would recommend a 2921 (although they are very conservative recommendations).

You might want to review the attachment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card