cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9300: Problems with devices dissappearing from the network

ds_aditec
Level 1
Level 1

We are manufacturer of controllers for automation and we have a touchpanel with Windows Embedded Compact 7 running on it.

We have 6 devices installed at a customer (same hardware, same os-image, same software) and they are running without any problem for about two years. Since about january 21 this year 4 of this 6 devices are having a problem with availability on the network. If you switch them on you can reach (ping) them for about 5 minutes. After this time you can't reach them in the network any more. Our devices have two ethernet cards. No matter which you use, it's the same behaviour. We exchanged two devices for new ones, the same problem. One of them is here on my desk for testing, no problem, I can reach it over weeks without any interruption.Our customer is using a Cisco 9300 Series switch with software version 16.06.04 and says he did not change anything in his network. The use of duplicated IP-addresses can be excluded. For me it looks like there is a problem with renewing the mac address (~5 minutes -> 300 seconds mac address timeout). We logged communication on that port and after about 5 Minutes ping stopped. Attached you will find a screenshot of this. Does anyone has an idea what the problem is?

Thanks for your replys

Dirk.

19 Replies 19

Just tested the same problem on a 9300 switch.  The client is talking ipv6.  The switch answers with ipv6 traffic.  ipv6 is not configured or enabled on my switch.  so the 9300 is in the background talking ipv6. 
why is the 9300 talking ipv6 if not configured?

The last line in screen capture is a packet from the 9300 to the client.  The client stops its ipv4 traffic when the packed is received at the client. 

Someone an idea how to stop the 9300 talking ipv6 when it is not configured. ?

Hello, in my case I found out that it is a problem on the windows ce device. I tried a different Windows CE images and our newest did not work. An older image worked without any problem. Maybe there where some changes on the IPV6 stack in Windows CE, I don't know exactly. In my case another device in the network sent these packets, router just forwarded them. After deactivating IPV6 on the windows CE devices everything was working.

Hi 

I Know that disabling the ipv6 stack on windows CE solves the problem.  But the problem is only on a 9300 all other cisco swites i have don't have the problem. So the 9300 to my opinnion is doing somthing on ipv6 that is not configured on that (access) switch.

Tested a C3850 and a C3650CX. Tomorrow i wil test a 9200 switch to see if it shows the same problem.    

The basic of the network setup is the same in al the tests.  The tested switches ar all configured as a access switch. 

Ok, that's interesting. I wasn't able to test this in office, because we don't have these cisco devices. We only had this problem at a customer and there was no possibility to check with other switches.

Hi,

did you test the issue with a 9200 switch? Could you find out something?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card