Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 2950 Start problem

Hi,

I bought a second Cisco Switch, 2950 model. But this one seems to have issues. When I'm accessing it through my console connection, I'm receiving this errors:

Loading "flash:/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA4a.bin"...##############################################################################################################################################################################################################

File "flash:/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA4a.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x80010000
executing...

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Drive
San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(22)EA4a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 16-Sep-05 10:46 by yenanh
Image text-base: 0x80010000, data-base: 0x80562000

Initializing flashfs...
flashfs[1]: 359 files, 4 directories
flashfs[1]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[1]: Total bytes: 7741440
flashfs[1]: Bytes used: 4674560
flashfs[1]: Bytes available: 3066880
flashfs[1]: flashfs fsck took 7 seconds.
flashfs[1]: Initialization complete.
Done initializing flashfs.
ASIC Initialization Passed
%Error: initializing transceiver port Fa0/1
%Error: initializing transceiver port Fa0/2

%PLATFORM_CAT2950-3-MIIM_OP_FAILURE:
Unable to read PHY register at addr 2 for phy id 2
%Error: initializing transceiver port Fa0/3
strata_cmic_read_miim ERROR:
timeout (addr=0x02 id=0x03)

What should I do to fix it? Please help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

looks like hardware fault some type pf controller issue , I would send it back , I presume theres no support as its a 2950 ask for return tell them its faulty out of the box

Error Message    PLATFORM_CAT2950-3-MIIM_OP_FAILURE: Unable to read PHY register at 
addr [hex] for phy id [hex].

Explanation    This message means that there was a failure to read from or write to a PHY register on the switch, which might occur because of a defect in the media independent interface (MII)/Gigabit media independent interface (GMII) switch interface. The first [hex] is the register address, and the second [hex] is the PHY ID.

Recommended Action    If the message recurs, copy the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log, call your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

looks like hardware fault some type pf controller issue , I would send it back , I presume theres no support as its a 2950 ask for return tell them its faulty out of the box

Error Message    PLATFORM_CAT2950-3-MIIM_OP_FAILURE: Unable to read PHY register at 
addr [hex] for phy id [hex].

Explanation    This message means that there was a failure to read from or write to a PHY register on the switch, which might occur because of a defect in the media independent interface (MII)/Gigabit media independent interface (GMII) switch interface. The first [hex] is the register address, and the second [hex] is the PHY ID.

Recommended Action    If the message recurs, copy the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log, call your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information.

OK, thank you Mark!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card