cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco N9K-C93240YC-FX2 1/51 QSFP connector Damaged in Switch

PandarathilN
Level 1
Level 1

While I was installing a QSFP on the bottom line fiber port 1/51, since I followed the same orientation of QSFP installed on the 1/49 and 1/50 port, it moved the connector interface on port 1/51 from its position and I am unable to use that port any more on that switch. I feel like this seems to a design fault or you are not providing enough care in the design of the Port and product so that, it will not allow the QSFP to go in the wrong way and reach the connectors. Designing a Product with so much of features, you failed in implementing a simple arrangement on the switch port to inform the engineer that you are installing QSFP in the wrong way. I think you should take extra care while designing these kind of featured and expensive products to arrest these kinds of mishaps that might happen from an engineer while working with it.

5 Replies 5

pieterh
VIP
VIP

Hi there,
this is Cisco communities, NOT Cisco itself (of course there also are Cisco Employees on the forum)

I don't have the same hardware to check,
but normally there ARE guides that mechanically prevent a module being inserted the wrong way

pieterh_0-1700135137839.jpeg

pieterh_1-1700135434944.png

are you sure these are not present on this device/module ?
I do understand it is frustrating things do not go as planned,
but if you buy expensive equipment, you should handle this device professionally
if the module won't fit, you should not force it

The installation I did was a QSFP's and not SFP. 1/51 is where I installed it. 1/49, 1/50 was oriented in one way and 1/51 goes in the other way around. There was no indication on the device saying that 1/51 should go in the other way around. Since I was unable to find one, I inserted it thinking that this is also going to take the same orientation. Unfortunately, it moved the connectors inside the switch and now if I try the correct orientation, it is not allowing the QSFP's go in properly. Don't you think there should be an indicator on the device saying that the QSFP will be going in the other way around? Or atleast a small mechanical arrangement showing that you are insrting the device in the wrong way before it goes and damage the connector inside?

the screenshot I posted IS from a QSFP ?

pieterh_0-1700143560375.png

this is a normal SFP

pieterh_1-1700143731961.png

Yeah. I know we have to handle it professionally and I did not force much as well, but unfortunately this has happen, but what I am saying is, to avoid this kind of mistakes in future from happening, I would recommend some simple mechanical obstruction in the product design so that, this kind of mistakes will not happen in future with some simple design modifications to block the insertions of QSFP in the wrong way.

take another look at the images, there IS such an obstruction on the QSFP
it is accompanied by counterparts in the slot
the upper and lower metal parts should no fit in the wrong counterpart

But I'll take your experience as a warning and take extra attention.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card