Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch 3560 CX

Xavier Hunter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone!

so I bought this new cisco SW which I'll use for my PCs and stuff, I was able to connect my devices and have a proper connection, no problems whatsoever.

but I still want to configure and ramage around a little bit, unfortunately, I don't have a serial cable to start with, so can I connect to my switch via putty using an RG45 cable?

if I can, then please explain the steps. thanks  

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the front of the switch.  Do you see the mini-USB port to the right of the RJ-45 console port?  Guess what that is?

The driver can be found HERE and Service Contract is not required to download the USB Console driver.

View solution in original post

@Xavier Hunter wrote:

and if I find one should I use the typical COM1 port in the putty serial protocol?

Of course you can.  Download the USB Console driver if required.

@Xavier Hunter wrote:

but isn't there a way by doing it with RG45?

I am trying to provide alternatives to make "life" a lot easier. 
If you prefer using RJ45, then whatever you feel comfortable with.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the front of the switch.  Do you see the mini-USB port to the right of the RJ-45 console port?  Guess what that is?

The driver can be found HERE and Service Contract is not required to download the USB Console driver.

Yes, I do see the 2 USB ports, one type B mini, and one type A.

but i don't have a USB cable at the moment, and if I find one should I use the typical COM1 port in the putty serial protocol?

@Xavier Hunter wrote:

and if I find one should I use the typical COM1 port in the putty serial protocol?

Of course you can.  Download the USB Console driver if required.

@Xavier Hunter wrote:

I am trying to provide alternatives to make "life" a lot easier. 
If you prefer using RJ45, then whatever you feel comfortable with.

lol, thanks, it's very helpful, but I'm trying to use what I have at my expense at the moment! it's late in the night and I have nothing but configuring this switch to do! 

that's why I asked if RG45 could be a solution.

I guess the first-time config requires a console connection and later I can use the ethernet cable to bring changes to the config  

Xavier Hunter
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Leo!
I changed my switch mode to express and used the telnet IP 10.0.0.1 via RG45 to connect with the switch and now I'm now logged in!

thanks again, appreciate it imma go and configure some stuff now!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card