cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switches and Express Setup

RBenke
Level 1
Level 1

I NEVER use Express Setup when I'm configuring a Cisco switch for one simple reason:

During Express Setup, you're prompted to set a password for Admin. Once this is done, I can never remote into the switch using that username. It's not an issue with knowing the password. I know what password I used. But the switch will never accept it ("Access denied").

In the few cases I've inadvertently used Express Setup (which I did last night), my only choice is to delete the configuration file via a console connection, reload WITHOUT doing Express Setup, then manually assign a password via "username Admin password <password>". Once I've done that, I can log in remotely as Admin.

I'm sure Express Setup isn't intended to be a barrier to remote administration. What am I missing?

1 Reply 1

Hello,

as far as I recall, Express Setup lets you configure a password for the switch and for Telnet (for the purpose of remote access) ? Which password is never accepted ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card