Level 1

In ICND 1 course, I was taught that I can classify IP Address as following:

Public -> Static, Dynamic(DHCP)

Private

This is how I classifies:

Public -> Static, Dynamic(NAT)

Private -> Static, Dynamic(DHCP, APIPA)

Lastly, this is how my friend classifies:

Public -> Static(Non RFC-1918), Dynamic(DHCP, NAT)

Private -> Static(RFC-1918), Dynamic(DHCP, APIPA)

-> I would like to know which one is the most accurate way to classify IP Address.

Lastly, is 192.23.32.x/24 C-class network? I strongly believe that 192.23.32.x/24 must not be called as C-class network since there is a prefix. "Prefix"simply represents that this IP address doesn't have a concept of "CLASS" anymore. Still, some people call it C-class network. I am pretty lost at this point, so please let me know if you are 100% sure about this problem \^0^/    

4 Replies 4

Hello,

I´d say that your friend´s classification is  more accurated then yours.

Public -> Static, Dynamic(NAT)

NAT is not a definition of IP in terms of Dynamic considering that NAT also take in consideration Ports which is Layer 4.

I think  Static, Dynamic(DHCP) is better. Public IP also can be provided by DHCP.

Private -> Static, Dynamic(DHCP, APIPA)

This is  ok. 

192.23.32.x/24 can be classified as Class C. Yes, it has a prefix and this allows us to identify which part is reserved for Host and which part can be used for Network.

The basic definition of class C is any IP range between 192.x.x.x  up to 223.x.x.x

Hope that helps.

IP ->
Dynamic -> Static(Non RFC-1918), Dynamic(DHCP)
Static -> Static(RFC-1918), Dynamic(DHCP, APIPA)
-> Thank you very much for clarification. I think I 100% got it :) However, I cannot agree with your explanation regarding the "Class".
The basic definition of class C is any IP range between 192.x.x.x up to 223.x.x.x -> This is only TRUE when there is no prefix or subnetmask. Is 192.168.3.2/17 Class C? I might have mistranslated and misunderstood the ICND 1 textbook, but my understanding is that if there is no prefix or subnetmask, we can simply classify the IP address by Class. But, if there is a prefix or subnetmask, we cannot classify the IP address by Class anymore. In other words, having a prefix or subnetmask implies that it doesn't have a concept of "Class" any longer. Probably, I am not flexible as my instructor said so :(

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I just use public and private to describe IPs, anything else just complicates it. 

Yes it is class C but note nowadays we talk more in / notation. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card