Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clear 3750 Stack configuration

Hello.

I'm trying to remove ALL stack informations on 2 3750 switches.

After a write erase and reload both switches still have the provisioning line in the running config and they "remember" their priority.

I tried to copy the running config in a USB flash device, manually delete the provision config line with a text editor, and copy again the modified config in the startup, then i reloaded the switches without saving, but at restart the running config still shows the provisioning line.

Renumbering switch 1 to switch 2 and deleting the switch 1 provision didn't help because the config line automatically changed to switch 2 provisioned.

Deleting the file vlan.dat obviously didn't help, it was a random try.

Is this information stored somewhere and the config updates automatically?

Long story short, i want a perfectly clear running config without any previous information.

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For switch priority, just set it back to "switch X priority 1" (and switch renumbering), save the config and reboot.
After the reboot, delete the config. Switch priority should continue to be the value you've last set.

Yes, switch priority will stay the same i set it, but in the running config i still see it provisioning itself and that line can't be removed.

Hello

Do you mean the default switch provision each switch has anyway or do you mean is  switch provisions of the other switches that was in the stack even after a write erase?

Also prior to the write erase did you physically disconnect the switches from the stack and NOT save on reboot?

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Even after the write erase both switches are still provisioned, i can remove the #2 with "no switch 2 provision" but i can't "unprovision" #1 of course, and that line (switch 1 provision ws-3750) stay in the running config no matter how many time i erase it.

Yes, the switch is in my lab with no other devices connected, not even stack cables, i never save between write erase and reboot.

Hello

@Paolo Agostinone wrote:
Even after the write erase both switches are still provisioned, i can remove the #2 with "no switch 2 provision" but i can't "unprovision" #1 of course, and that line (switch 1 provision ws-3750) stay in the running config no matter how many time i erase it.

Yes, the switch is in my lab with no other devices connected, not even stack cables, i never save between write erase and reboot.

So i don't see your problem, your write erase and then un provision all other switches  (not forgetting provison 1 that cannot be removed) - then save changes all is good correct?

res
Paul 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Other switches i have don't show the #1 provision, that's why i thought that line was mistakenly saved. If it's a normal behaviour then it's a non-problem.
Still, why i can't write erase the switch priority? Where is that information stored?

Hello

@Paolo Agostinone wrote:

Other switches i have don't show the #1 provision, that's why i thought that line was mistakenly saved. If it's a normal behaviour then it's a non-problem.
Still, why i can't write erase the switch priority? Where is that information stored?

Are the other switches stackable?

You will only see this on stackable switches - the default for any switch would be

switch 1 provison xxxxxx
switch priority 15

res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes we have a stock of same switches.
The switch priority line doesn't appear in the running config, still the priority still shows 15 in the "show switch" output

Hello

@Paolo Agostinone wrote:
Yes we have a stock of same switches.
The switch priority line doesn't appear in the running config, still the priority still shows 15 in the "show switch" output

As far as i am aware it doesn't anyway unless you run the SHOW SWITCH command and priority 15 would be shown as its the default priority for a standalone switch - However you can renumber it if you desired

res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

The default priority should be 1, anyway i tried with different priority like this:
switch 1 priority 4, write erase, reload without saving, the switch reboots with empty config (i can confirm because the hostname is changed to default), but "show switch" output still shows priority 4.

Hello

@Paolo Agostinone wrote:
The default priority should be 1, anyway i tried with different priority like this:
switch 1 priority 4, write erase, reload without saving, the switch reboots with empty config (i can confirm because the hostname is changed to default), but "show switch" output still shows priority 4.

Why should it be priority 1? -  Do you mean you want it to be Priority 1?

If/when you change the switch priority ,My understanding that change will stay even after a write erase, as you only erasing the NVRAN and I dont think its saved in there, Anyway the switch requires a switch priority when it goes through the stack master election process to negotiate it status in the stack..

res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card