cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Communicate with multiple VLANs from single ethernet port

wbrown1087
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys I have a question with respect to VLAN. I have two VLANs setup (1 and 800). I have a 2960 as my head end switch and a 3560 in a field box. This doesn't matter so much as I can replicate the problem when just using the 2960.

So I have an AXIS decoder (Q7424R-MKII) that is converting some old analog cameras for me. I also have AXIS Q1765-LE IP cameras installed. Both pieces of equipment have basically the exact same setup process. The Q1765s are fine on my VLAN 800. The encoder, however, will not maintain a connection on VLAN 800. I began troubleshooting with the assumption that it was the encoder. After reading through logs I decided to hard wire to my laptop to see if the problem persisted. While hard wired, the logs generated by the encoder are much different in this configuration. The encoder no longer loses and re-assigns my IP.

I decided to hook the encoder to my 2960 and see what happens. By default I was on VLAN 800. Same results as when fielded and hooked up to the 3560. I changed port settings for the encoder on the 2960 to operate with "Static Access" on VLAN 1. This configuration now mimics what it was doing directly wired to my laptop.

I have 1 machine that needs to be able to communicate to all of those cameras on VLAN 800 but it also has to recognize this encoder. Is there a way to make a single port on this 3960 communicate with both the VLAN 1 and 800? I have tried different administrative modes that allow me to select different values for the VLAN. I thought maybe a configuration that had "ALL" listed for VLAN would work but when it was set to that, I could no longer even talk to my switch that I was directly plugged into.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Wbrown1087,

the port to which you connect the decoder should be in vlan800 as access port.

I don't think that an access port in vlan1 can solve the connectivity issues between the decoder and the switch.

Use static access with vlan 800 otherwise you have one host in another Vlan /broadcast domain that cannot be reached by the controller machine.

A trunk connection that carries all vlans can be used only if the decoder understands and use Vlan tagging.

And this is unlikely if it is old stuff.

Problems can be in the cabling, at the physical layer you should investigate this part, the specific vlan to which an access port belongs does not cause connectivity issues by itself.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I would tend to agree with you on that. However, without changing anything physically, I can toggle the port that the encoder is on over the network and I have almost no issues on VLAN 1 vs. nothing but issues on VLAN 800.

With everything else working on VLAN 800, would you think there is anything configured incorrectly with respect to the VLAN?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card