cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect unmanaged switch to 887VA fast ethernet port

zanini.me
Level 1
Level 1

I tried connecting an unmanaged (and dumb) switch to one of the four fast ethernet ports on the back of the router. I configured the port to act as an access port bound to a specific VLAN, say no. 100.

What I can see on the LEDs of the unmanaged switch is that the link goes up and down every few seconds. I don't know if this is related to the spanning tree protocol and unfortunately the unmanaged switch doesn't know about STP and doesn't send out BPDUs.

So, how I should configure the port in order to avoid the link going up and down?

The actual conf. for the port:

interface fastEthernet 3
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 100
3 Replies 3

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What do you mean by dumb siwthc? What model/make/company is that switch?

Can you try to do the reset of the switch so that it wipe off all the config what so ever present on the box and then try to connect the switch to the router?

It's an unmanaged switch. There's no config. on it. You can buy such h/w at the grocery store.

Hi,

As this is switch to switch set up have you tried a crossover cable or does the dumb switch have a 

MIDI/MIDIX uplink button to perform the crossover.

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card