Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 switches through fiber patch panel but no link lights

anointedballa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone!

I have fiber patch panel 1 on one side of my building and fiber patch panel 2 on the other side of my building. I'm trying to setup a cisco router on each end so I can test connectivity.  

To do this, I have taken 2 new cisco switches out of the box, I connected fiber cables on the TenGig port 1 going from the switch to the patch panel, and this setup is for both patch panel 1 and 2.

I've verified to make sure that I am using the 10gig SFPs.

I run a no shut to open up the fiber ports on the switches but there are no link lights on either switch showing any type of connectivity.

these are brand new fiber cables so I don't think that the cables are broken.

I did a cdp neighbors command and I do not see any connections in the console.

There is no internet connection, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I shouldn't need one for the link lights on the switches to pop up, correct?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Are you using the correct fiber patch from the switch to each patch panel? If the fiber between the 2 sites is multi-mode, you need to use a multi-mode cable to the switch if it is single mode than you need a SM patch cord. If all your fiber is correct and tested than try to swap the fiber strand on one side of the connection and see if that help. Also, you want to make sure your SFPs match with your fiber. Again, if the fiber is SM, you need a SM SFPs if it is MM, than you need MM SFPs. This is layer-1 issue and has nothing to do with Internet access.

HTH

Hey Reza,

Thank you for responding.

I did have the mismatch on the single mode and multimode with the fiber cables, and I fixed that. However there are still not any lights.

I also did a show ip int brief and it is showing that that the fiber port is down down, even though that I did a no shut on those ports.

Hello

What make/model are the switches?
Have you tested the two switches sfps running them back to back to negate any possible fibre issue along it path, do they come up when directly connected?

sh run
sh version
sh inventory

sh interface capabilities 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

So both ends are showing down? Could also mean that documentation is wrong and the fibre is terminated in some other panel or port.
A visible light will come in handy.

And the SFPs match the fiber you have in place? Also, if you have a fiber tester, you can simply shine light on one site and should be able to see it on the other site of the fiber if it is good end-to-end. Don't look at the light directly as it can damage your eyes.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card