Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting to devices at the same time with same default IP address

tocazoko_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are testing our hardware after production.

By default the ip-address in the controller is 10.10.10.10 /24

The software to test our hardware is installed on a machine with multiple NIC's.

The Ip address of the hardware can not be changed to do the tests.

The software however can start tests on whatever IP address mentioned in the software.

So on Nic1 there is a connection to the corparate network. 192.168.1.1/24

On Nic2 there is a direct connection to Device 1 with ip 10.10.10.10/24

On Nic3 there is a direct connection to Device 2 with ip 10.10.10.10/24

How can i kind of trick windows that for example IP address 10.10.10.11 is located on NIC 2 and route the traffic to IP 10.10.10.10

How can i kind of trick windows that for example IP address 10.10.10.12 is located on NIC 3 and also route the traffic to IP 10.10.10.10 on that NIC

Does someone understand what i mean ?

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think I understand what you mean although not sure what this has to do with Cisco devices :-)

I don't know whether this could be done on Windows but you would need something like NAT between your machine and the hardware devices so you could address your NICs into different subnets and then translate to the real IP.

If you had a router and a switch in between you and the hardware devices you could conceivably use subinterfaces on the router each in their own VRF and then do NAT but wouldn't like to say it would definitely work without testing.

Jon

You could either install an individual L3 NAT router in front of every device to test and present a valid 'external' IP address which your software would connect to.

Or you you could use L2NAT, where the end devices all have the same IP address and you map them to a valid 'external' IP address which your software would connect to.

Problem is that it is supported on a limited number of Cisco devices (mostly industrial switching). See the below.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/cisco_ie2000/software/release/15_0_2_eb/configuration/guide/scg-ie2000/l2nat.html

It depends on how often you are doing this type of testing and how may network devices you need to obtain and configure. It also assumes that your test software works correctly with NAT.

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Would it be possible to disable ipv4 and enable ipv6 on all devices and perform the needed testing using ipv6 only. 

Never done anything like this, but just a thought...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card