Views
Helpful
Replies

connection between cisco 9500 and FWSM of VSS 6500

it_networkteam
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all 

I need  to create a connection link between an interface on FWSM (main and standby )on 2 core switches 6500 configured with VSS  and  2 switchs 9500 configured with VPC configured between them  , what is the best implementation  ? i have 4 uplinks between the 9K and 6500 , each 2 links from every swich 9500 to the 2 core switches 6500 .   i have 2 idea i don't know which is better : 

1) configure the 4 uplinks from 2 switchs 9K as 1 portchannel with VPC configuration and  from VSS 6500 port-channel ( layer 2 ) for the 4 uplink on the 2 vss core switch and the layer 3 interfaces will be on FWSM (main and standby)

2 ) configure 2 port-channels , the portchannel is configered  between  one 9K switch (layer 2) and the 2 VSS core 6500 and other port-channel for the other 9K switch (layer 2 )   

1 Reply 1

MARTIN HUERTER
Level 1
Level 1

it_networkteam,

You should be able to use option 1), your configurations would look something like this.

Configure your VSS Portchannel-group as you would with any LAG interface as a 802.1q trunk using LACP...one interface from each of the two VSS chassis'.

interface Port-channel1
 switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/1
 switchport
 switchport mode trunk
 channel-group 1 mode active

interface TenGigabitEthernet2/1/1
 switchport
 switchport mode trunk

Configure your N9K the same, but add the vpc configuration to the each of the N9K switches.  

N9K #1

interface port-channel1
  switchport
  switchport mode trunk
  vpc 1

interface Ethernet1/1
  switchport
  switchport mode trunk
  no shutdown

N9K #2

interface port-channel1