cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

copy running-config startup-config invalid argument

Roberto Soto
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I know this is a common question? but I couldnt find an answer to mine.

R1#copy running-config startup-config

Destination filename [startup-config]? 4152013

%Error copying nvram:4152013 (Invalid argument)

I know that if I press enter it will save it, but why? on how can I name the file as I want it?

Many thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Roberto

I believe that this is an interesting question, but am not sure that I agree that it is a common question.

The answer to the question depends on understanding the (implied) parameter of where in the file system the copy destination is located. The default destination of the copy running-config is in nvram with a file name of startup-config (and this file name does exist in the file system location). but if you try to provide a different file name without providing a different filesystem then it fails.

For example - if you were to enter copy running-config flash:4152013 then it would work just fine.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Roberto

I believe that this is an interesting question, but am not sure that I agree that it is a common question.

The answer to the question depends on understanding the (implied) parameter of where in the file system the copy destination is located. The default destination of the copy running-config is in nvram with a file name of startup-config (and this file name does exist in the file system location). but if you try to provide a different file name without providing a different filesystem then it fails.

For example - if you were to enter copy running-config flash:4152013 then it would work just fine.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Richard,

Many thanks. This answered my question.The reason I said it was common; its because I saw a few blogs on the web of people entering "Y" thinking they needed to answer yes. I thought it was asking me for a name, but I understand now that saying: copy running-config startup-config  ; im actually telling the IOS the destination file. 

Much appreciated!

Roberto

I am glad that my answer helped you understand the issue. Thank you for using the rating system to mark the question as answered. It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that a correct answer was found. Your marking has contributed to this process.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card