cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Core_Switch Migration

sijosmail
Level 1
Level 1

Hi , We are planning to upgrade our existing Core_Switch (2x3750 Stack) . So please help me to get the correct alternative of the existing one. Please give a comparison between 3850 Vs 9300 series...

8 Replies 8

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
There is a wide variety of 3850s and 9300 switches which models are you looking at specifically
majority of commands on IOS will work on IOS-XE but some may be different on NX-OS 9300s and the feature list will be different ad wont have as many options but there fine for layer 2 support generally same features as IOS and IOS-XE

Take a look at this
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/switches/cisco-switch-selector-how-to/index.html

Hi Mark, Thanks for the updates. But I think the production of 3850 is stop now. So will i get that model and service from Cisco ?

Hi
just so your aware here 38s have not stopped production a lot of there older models are going eol but there is a whole new rage out , of 10GBs out

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The "correct" alternative would need to be defined by you. Basically the 9300 series are the next generation of Cisco's LAN stackable L3 switches.

The general rules apply, which are generally the newest devices provided the most performance per dollar, they should have the longest expected lifetime for support (as of right now), they likely have new features, they may have lost features (important to you), they might not (yet) be as stable as prior generations.

Hi Josesh, Thanks for your updates. But what is your advise to go for which model ?

Hi
have a look at this too it with help , we avoided 9300s exactly for the reason Joseph has specified too new not as stable as the 4507e

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/switches/cisco-switch-selector-how-to/index.html

Insufficient information for me to advise.

Hi

Additional to the other comments, you can use the switch selector tool and select campus and branches then upgrade, now I suggest upgrade your Cisco 3750 by Cisco 9500-40X (40 SPF/SPF+), this model was designed for Core/Aggregation Layer, but everything depends of your infrastructure, budget and how it will growth in the future. The Catalyst 9000 are ready for new services like: analytic, security issues mitigation, IoT and it works with DNA.

The Cisco 9500 has:

Intel 4 core of 2.4 GHz

DDR4 DRAM 16GB (3750 has 2GB of RAM)

Support 1G/10G/40G ports. 

The Catalyst 9000 model were released the last year, so take in consideration the EoS of the devices as well. You can consider 9300 but my suggestion is compare the models in order to see what is proper for your infrastructure. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card