cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Daisy Chaining

siegfredp
Level 1
Level 1

Can I daisy chain a two SG-300 28P without compromising performance.

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

These switches come as default layer 2 out of the box so just trunk them together should be fine should not see any performance issues from connecting them together , if your going to route between them you will need to set them as layer 3 which resets the box

Hi, Mark

I am interested with your points of trunking them together.

Since, I am planning to add another SG300 48P switch on my existing network with SG300 28P to accommodate my additional cabling. Could you kindly guide me how to do the trunking. What I am thinking is just connect a patch cable between the two switch using the existing port 25 on each switch. I wonder if I need to assign a different IP address for each switch.

Thank yo

Fred

HI yes you should be just able to connect these switches together from what i remember all ports are set as default to trunk out of the box but if not its easily done in the gui , usually you would give the switch an ip so it can manage it , these come with default ip for web access but you can change that

heres the guide to configure these switches may help, take into account what Joseph said in his post as well most of the time your fine but you dont want to over subscribe the trunk link , you could create an ether channel i believe these are capable of that for extra bandwidth between switches

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/78-19308-01.pdf

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11077286/do-cisco-sg-300-28p-switches-support-etherchannel

All ports are 'Trunk' by default with the untagged Vlan being 1. 

If you add a Vlan on the SG300 series, it does not automatically add it to all Trunk ports like a Catalyst one would.

You need to manually tag Vlans on the trunk ports via the CLI or GUI. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"It depends."

Any time you daisy chain switches, you introduce extra store and forward delay, and if the transit link congests, additional queuing delay and/or queuing drops.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card