Views
Helpful
Replies

Default gateway??

vajahat_ali
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've this network where each of the 3 routers have 2 ports, one of them connected to a common network and other one to a separate network. The common network's ports are connected to a switch and the switch then connects to a host. On the separate networks there are hosts connected to them. If we ping from the pc that's connected to the switch, we can only get replies from the network which is directly connected to it's default gateway. The challenge is we don't have to use any routing either static or dynamic and we have to be able to ping the host connected to the switch from all the other hosts. When I took the screenshot the STP wasn't converged so please ignore that port status. 

Is it possible to achieve this goal? I've heard about Cisco's EVN to virtualize single router as multiple router instances, but can we virtualize multiple routers as single one?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

On the single host connected to the switch.

Try removing its default-gateway totally.
This should make it just use broadcast so it
should arp out and the correct router should
respond with an arp reply for the ping replies.

Give it a try

Regards
Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi Alex, thanks for the reply. The challenge is to ping the single host connected to the switch from the other PCs. For that we'll need to configure the three routers to look and act like a single router, which is the only way I could think of. Is there any way to do that, to combine all those routers on a single segment to virtualise as one single router?

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card