jonk34567
Level 4
Level 4

In a cisco switch what is the default stp protocol ? STp or Rstp or R-pvst+

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Usually PVST+ or RPVST+ depending on the switch.

Jon

Hi

A new Catalyst switch out from the box is configured as PVST mode by default. But as Jon mentioned previously the default is Rapid PVST on nexus switches. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli/CLIConfigurationGuide/RPVSpanningTree.html

Please rate the comments if they are useful.

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

so stp and Rstp  no need any more 

Hi

Cisco switches use only proprietary STP versions (PVST and Rapid PVST) and MST.

http://www.learncisco.net/courses/icnd-2/vlans-and-spanning-tree/stp-protocol-types.html

STP and RSTP are not used into Cisco devices.

Please rate the comment if it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jon and Julio have answered your question, but just wanted to add, normally you would want to use a rapid variant whenever it's supported.  Rapid is a much better version.

According "CCNA outing and Switching Practice Test" editoria Sybex in 2017 question 2.199, the default STP mode in Cisco Switches is PVST+, and are not 802.1d, 802,1w, Rapid PVST+

I don't know if the answer has changed because Cisco has changed their protocols. I think the architecture is changing always and maybe one day is not PVST+  the default. Maybe is this the reason that Cisco certificacions expires

Supporting David's comment, I don't recall yet bumping into a Cisco switch that defaults into rapid-PVST, although that's what we reconfigure them into.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card