cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Devices are not accepting fixed IP and adopt 169.254.X.X / 16 (APIPA)

Rafael Santos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a WI-FI network where access points are managed by a Cisco Wireless Controller.

The IP address distribution for all elements of this wireless network is done through a Windows DHCP server.

The wireless network in question is allocated to a VLAN for mobile devices.

The problem I am facing is the following, I want to put a new DHCP server in the environment and for this I have allocated a fixed IP within the VLAN destined for mobile devices. For this new server I have allocated a fixed IP that is not within the scope of distribution of the current DHCP server, however any fixed IP that I put on this new DHCP server it disregards and adopts IP 169.254.XX / 16, that is, it adopts the IP APIPA

I have already validated that the address I am trying to allocate is available, is not within the scope of distribution of the current server, I tested with other IPs available within the same network, but the new server in no way adopts the fixed IP that I am allocating and adopts automatically 169.254.XX / 16.

I did a test, I got a notebook, I set the fixed ip in the network of mobile devices but the same problem happened, the notebook discarded the fixed ip that I configured on the network card and adopted IP 169.254.X.X. With this I disregard cabling problem, and network card, since I tested on different network points and on different computers.

I came to the conclusion that any element that I connect through the wired network in the VLAN that serves the mobile devices, even configuring fixed IP, this ip is not accepted and an ip APIPA is adopted. With this I am not able to make the inclusion of the new DHCP server. Has anyone ever picked up a problem of this nature before and can you help me?

Network data:

Mobile network: 172.21.0.0 / 21
IP address of the current DHCP server: 172.21.0.3 / 21
DHCP scope of the current server: 172.21.2.0 through 172.21.7.254
IP of the new DHCP server: 172.21.0.6 / 21 <= It has been validated that this ip is available and does not respond on the network.
VLAN for mobile devices: 21

Thank you,
Rafael Santos

15 Replies 15

Thanks for the update indicating that you have solved the problem. +5 for providing the solution to your own problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card